It's true. Not all goat's milk soap is created equal.
Most people have heard of goat’s milk soap at one time or another. You may have heard about how good it is for you, how moisturizing it is for your skin. Maybe you have learned how gentle it can be? It’s all true - to a certain extent. What you might not know is that every soap maker has their own unique formula or recipe for how they make their product. Every ingredient added changes the qualities in the soap – like the lather or how hard the bar is. Even the way the soap cools can change the outcome of the appearance of the soap.
There are six main ways in which soap makers can produce a goat’s milk soap:
1. They use powdered goat’s milk and reconstitute it into a liquid.
2. They buy the goat’s milk from the store or someone else who raises goats.
3. They buy a goat’s milk soap from someone else and label it as their own.
4. They buy a pre-made mix called a “base” that had some form of goat's milk added to it at some point in time.
5. They buy someone else’s goat’s milk soap, shred it, melt it and make it into a new bar of goat’s milk soap.
Or 6, they own, tend-to, and love their own herd of goats and thankfully and gratefully receive the precious milk from them.
Can you guess how we do it? Yes! Number 6! Our family is very interactive with our goats. We love having and caring for them. Not only do we use the milk to make the soap and other products we sell but our family drinks the milk every single day. In fact, our 6 younger children who were adopted and who didn’t grow up on cow’s milk think that cow’s milk tastes funny!
If you are in avid goat's milk soap user, or if you are new to goat’s milk soap and this is the first time you have heard about it, whether you use ours or not, we highly encourage you to purchase goat's milk soap products that are made using milk from the soap makers own herd. When goat's milk soap makers take the time to own their own goats and all the responsibility and care that goes into it, you know they are going to strongly care about the type of product they produce, and you should be getting a quality product, like the ones produced by our own Global Soaps family.